Magnesium comes in either organic or inorganic forms. Organic forms include citrate, aspartate, orotate, fumarate and amino acid chelates, while inorganic forms include oxide, chloride and carbonate. Organic forms of magnesium are generally better absorbed and produce fewer gastrointestinal disturbances when compared to the inorganic forms of magnesium.
In studies, organic forms of magnesium consistently show greater bioavailability than inorganic forms. A study comparing the bioavailability of three magnesium forms, citrate, amino acid chelate and oxide, showed magnesium citrate to have the best bioavailability. See here Magnesium Citrate 900.
Magnesium absorption takes place in the small intestine and either increases or decreases depending upon your body’s requirements; low serum magnesium encourages increased absorption and vice versa. Magnesium salts, such as magnesium citrate, provide high solubility so tend to have greater absorption. Magnesium levels are regulated by the small intestines (controlling absorption), the kidneys (controlling excretion), and bones, teeth, muscles, liver, pancreas and other non-muscle soft tissue (major storage sites).
With magnesium citrate, the magnesium is bonded to citric acid, so it remains stable in the stomach in the presence of hydrochloric acid and is delivered intact to the small intestine for easy absorption. Magnesium citrate is electrically neutral so it doesn’t interfere or compete with other important nutrients for absorption.
Magnesium citrate supports energy production
Magnesium is found in very high concentrations near the powerhouse (mitochondria) in every cell of your body. Once inside the cell, magnesium separates from the citrate, leaving elemental magnesium and citric acid. Citric acid is an essential component of the citric acid or Kreb’s cycle where your body’s high energy currency adenosine triphosphate (ATP) is produced.
Magnesium citrate provides a source of highly bioavailable and absorbable magnesium with the added benefit of citrate for energy production.
Magnesium Citrate 900 is beneficial for:
- Helping to reduce the occurrence of mild migraines
- Supporting cardiovascular system health and function
- Supporting bone health. Magnesium is an important structural component of bone and assists in the metabolism of calcium and phosphorus
- Supporting glucose metabolism
- Relieving symptoms of premenstrual tension
- Supporting nervous system health and function
- Supporting muscle health, contraction and function
- Relieving menstrual pain and cramps
- Supporting a healthy stress response in the body
- Supporting a healthy pregnancy
- Maintaining general health and wellbeing