- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup of Gluten Free 1-to-1 self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 3/4 cup of plant based milk (soy or almond works best)
- 3/4 tsp of ground cumin
- 2 tsp of nigella seeds
- 1 tsp of sea salt
- Oil for lightly frying
Rustic Carrot Yoghurt Dip
- 1-2 carrots, grated
- 3-4 HEAPED tbsp of greek yoghurt (substitute with coconut yoghurt for vegan option)
- 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Extra nigella seeds + sultanas/raisins for garnish (optional)
WHAT TO DO
- In a mixing bowl, add chickpeas and crush them slightly with the back of a spoon or fork. Add the grated carrot and red onion and mix well.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, plant milk, cumin, nigella seeds and salt and mix well until its sticky consistency. Leave aside to rest for 1-2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the dip. In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with extra nigella seeds and sultanas Leave aside for later.
- Add ~ 1/2 tbsp of oil to a flat pan and heat over medium to high heat. Once hot, add 1 1/2 heaped tbsp of the batter to the pan and spread to thin it out and ensure bits of the onion and carrot are sticking out rustically around the edges. This will help to crisp up the edges.
- Cook for ~2-3 minutes on one side or just until bubbles appear on the surface and it is crispy and golden brown on the cooked side. Flip and cook the opposite side for about ~2 minutes. Transfer to a paper lined plate. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve hot with yoghurt dip!
This is completely VEGAN and GLUTEN FREE!
Sourced from @thegirlinthegreenapron