- 500g of button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed or grated
- 2/3 cup of white wine (Chardonnay)
- 2 cups of arborio rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 1/2 cups of chicken stock
- 2 bunches of Asparagus, cut into small chunks
- 2-3 generous handfuls of grated Parmesan
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1 heaped tbsp of thickened cream or 2-3 tbsp of pouring cream
- Salt and pepper to season
WHAT TO DO
- In a large heavy based pot, melt 1 tbsp of butter, then add mushrooms, fry on medium high heat to evaporate all the liquid. Season with a bit of salt and pepper. Once evaporated, the browning action will begin, add 1 crushed garlic clove and then cook until slightly caramelised. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add asparagus, season, and fry until slightly softened. Remove and transfer to the bowl with mushrooms.
- In the same pot, melt 1 tbsp of unsalted butter, add onions and fry for a few minutes until softened, then add garlic. Season and fry together for a few minutes.
- Add white wine and reduce until slightly thickened. Add arborio rice, stir well and fry for 30 seconds.
- Turn down the heat to low and add 2 cups of chicken stock. Stir consistently until the rice thickens and the chicken stock has been well absorbed (~2-3 minutes). Add 1 cup of chicken stock in stages until all liquid has been added. In the end, the risotto should be cooked and creamy. This should take 25-30 minutes.
- At this point, stir through the mushrooms, and asparagus. Then the cheese and 3 tbsp of butter. Finish with the cream. Turn the heat off and pop the lid back on, and let it rest for a minute before serving.
- Garnish with extra parmesan cheese and black pepper.
Sourced from @thegirlinthegreenapron